What strikes your mind when you think of the Windows media player?
For me, it reminds me of old memories of watching movies and listening to music after a traumatic day. There were other applications too, but the Windows media player was quite famous in those days.
Quick look on the past
After the initial release of windows media player on October 22, 2009, A.D., it ruled the internet marketplace.
Back then, it was the favorite application for music and video enthusiasts. Due to its features and user convenience, it was quite successful in the market.
In this article, I will tutor you on deleting duplicate music files in windows media player. But before getting into it, have a quick look at its features and default file format.
Along with convenience, the windows media player has some amazing features:
Features of windows media player
- It helps users rip C.D.s.
- It helps users burn audio C.D.s.
- It helps users burn MP3 CDs.
- Online features.
- Media streaming
- Shell integration.
Unlike other video and music players, Windows media player has a default file format.
Default file formats in windows media player
- Video: Windows Media Video (WMV).
- Audio: Windows Media Audio (WMA)
- Playlist: The playlist is stored in file format; Windows Playlist (WPL).
Usually, users don’t organize the files or folders, and it leads to multiple copies of the same file or folder. While using windows media player, the common query of the people is “How to remove duplicate or cloned music files in windows media player.”
In some cases, if the files aren’t copied properly, you will face annoying audio interruptions.
A few days back, my friend too asked me the solution for it. So I decided why not share with our blog readers too.
After trying various methods and procedures, I ended up with the best and easiest way to delete the duplicate files in windows media player.
Follow the below-mentioned steps, sequentially to accomplish your task.
Steps to delete duplicate audio/video files in Windows Media Player (Method one)
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard, or search RUN on your windows search bar and click Run.
- Type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\
- Click ok.
- Now. Search for the folder Windows Media player (usually Media player) and delete it.
- So, close the windows media player and open it again.you will notice the deletion of duplicate files from the media player.
If you aren’t satisfied with this method or if this method didn’t work then, try the second procedure.
Remove duplicate music files in windows media player via Tunes cleaner (Method two)
- Download leawo tunes cleaner.
- Click on Add (available on the mid-bottom of the software).
- Now, choose the file directory (folder) where your music or movie files are saved.
- Click on scan iTunes (present at the left of Add).
- You will now see the list of cloned and non cloned files on the right-top click remove.
- Congratulations! Now you can listen to your music or watch movies without any disturbance.
What are the file formats supported by windows media player?
Almost all file formats are supported on Windows media player, I have listed all the supported file formats for Windows media players.
- Windows Media formats (.asf, .wma, .wmv, .wm)
- Windows Media Metafiles (.asx, .wax, .wvx, .wmx, wpl)
- Microsoft Digital Video Recording (.dvr-ms)
- Windows Media Download Package (.wmd)
- Audio Visual Interleave (.avi)
- Moving Pictures Experts Group (.mpg, .mpeg, .m1v, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpe, .m3u)
- Musical Instrument Digital Interface (.mid, .midi, .rmi)
- Audio Interchange File Format (.aif, .aifc, .aiff)
- Sun Microsystems and NeXT (.au, .snd)
- Audio for Windows (.wav)
- CD Audio Track (.cda)
- Indeo Video Technology (.ivf)
- Windows Media Player Skins (.wmz, .wms)
- QuickTime Movie file (.mov)
- MP4 Audio file (.m4a)
- MP4 Video file (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .3g2, .3gp2, .3gp, .3gpp)
- Windows audio file (.aac, .adt, .adts)
- MPEG-2 TS Video file (.m2ts)
- Free Lossless Audio Codec (.flac)
Also, concerning the common interest, I have answered some frequently asked questions regarding the deletion of duplicate files in windows media player.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, windows media player allows you to convert files. Below the rip tab, click the arrow on the menu section. Select the option you want to change, and the files will be converted.
No, you cannot play MPG files on a Windows media player. To play MPG files, you must download add ons and third-party apps. It is not safe to install third-party applications.
Let’s wrap up
So that’s all from my side. Removing the duplicate files keeps you organized and saves your time while browsing songs and movies. Also, it cleans up the disk by deleting extra files.
So if you accomplished your task, then a big thumbs up for you. Also, comment down, “I did it.” I will be happy to know that.